SINGAPORE, Aug 20 — A woman has reportedly sued Singapore’s National Parks Board (NParks) for negligence after she was allegedly attacked by a wild boar at a Bukit Panjang bus stop in 2023.
CNA reported that Durga Devi Subramaniam filed the lawsuit on April 29 this year, seeking damages for medical and transport expenses, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and an alleged permanent disability.
According to court documents obtained by CNA, Durga claimed the wild boar bit her and tossed her three times at a bus stop along Bangkit Road at about 11.50pm on May 1, 2023.
She was reportedly taken by ambulance to Tan Tock Seng Hospital with injuries to her right calf, fingers, right palm and buttocks.
The court filings cited by CNA said she subsequently underwent several operations, including microsurgical repair of nerve branches, while a medical report stated that the nerve injury had caused permanent disability to her right hand.
Durga alleged that NParks had failed to properly manage wild boars near roads and residential areas, maintain adequate fencing and take reasonable measures to protect the public.
NParks denied negligence, telling the court that it had made “all reasonable efforts” to manage the wild boar population through monitoring, public education, enforcement against illegal feeding, habitat modification and the removal of animals where necessary.
According to CNA, the agency said a wild boar had been struck by a vehicle along the same road about five minutes before the alleged attack and argued alternatively that Durga had contributed to the incident by failing to keep a safe distance from the animal.
The case is reportedly pending before Singapore’s State Courts and is due for mention tomorrow.